What we offer
Key products and services
The Regional Engagement business is focused on efforts to strengthen leadership, collaboration and capacity within the African geographic footprint. Regulatory compliance and a zero-tolerance commitment to ethics underscore the activities within the SADC.
On a practical level, the Regional Engagement business acts as a regional clearing-house that ensures the efficient processing of high-volume, day-to-day, low-value payments. The business provides oversight and interoperability for secure, time-sensitive, cross-border transactions.
Critical to the success of this business is a transparent engagement with officials at the helm of central banks, in-country banks, banking associations and industry associations.
- We implemented a unified Africa strategy, aligned to the group’s core purpose, moving from sales to supporting countries and economies.
- We advanced our approach to modernise African payments infrastructure, thereby making a grassroots contribution to the economic growth of fast-growing regional markets.
- The card switch in the DRC recorded a steady monthly volume increase, reflecting market acceptance of ATM interoperability and POS terminals.
- Regulatory bottlenecks in unstable economic and politically volatile markets continued to hamper growth.
- Attracting and retaining critical skills and competencies remain challenging.
The Regional Engagement business will continue to work with its partners and members to design and adopt a sustainable payments infrastructure across the region that supports all payment types.
Proof of concept and compliance for this cross-border initiative is a priority during the 2018 financial year.